Monday, November 24, 2008

Pam cancer sequel chap. 3

This update about Pam begins with a plea for a friend of ours, Randy. Maybe you know him, maybe you don't, but he is an incredible friend and encourager to us and he is suffering greatly right now, so I am asking for prayer on his behalf (like right now). Pray for healing, comfort and peace. Thank you.

Today Pam met with her surgeon. She added a third test to next week for Pam (chest wall ultrasound to go with the bone scan and chest CT already scheduled). The fun of taking the tests will be forgotten as soon as they are complete and the waiting begins for the results (these tests really need to come back negative). On Dec. 8th Pam will have surgery to remove the tumors. If all goes well she will be in and out on the same day. Pam will have some limitations following her surgery for a few weeks. No driving or lifting. I am adding no shopping to the restriction list as well. It is for her own good. Then more waiting as the tumors are dissected. By Dec. 12th the pathology reports will be ready and Pam will get her first clue as to what type of treatment her oncologist will recommend. These are all big days for her and your prayers will be cherished.

This blog...why? People seem to have real concern for Pam and this is the easiest way to communicate how she is doing and ask for prayer from many people at once. Those who want to know how she is doing and how they can pray, can simply check here anytime. I have no idea how often I will post. Hopefully I will be done soon. Praying she doesn't have a repeat of her long drawn out experiences from 3 & 4 years ago. Personally I follow blogs of a few friends who are battling cancer & serious illnesses like Randy, Don, Lexi, Lanie, Rachel & Chris. I want to know how they are and I love to pray for them. So I am offering the same for my Pam.

Don't be confused, having cancer is not always as glamorous as these fancy blogs make it seem. Yes, you hobknob with wealthy, well-educated doctors. You have fabulously expensive machines devoted to you nearly every week. You get to taste some pretty exotic and expensive drugs that take you to far away lands and almost back again. You learn so many new vocabulary words you begin thinking you are smarter than you actually are because you suddenly know when to use the word metastatic instead of metastasize. (OK, even me, someone with a 95 IQ...not to brag, but that is nearly a perfect 100...has difficultly with some of the terminology, so don't be afraid to ask). Anyway, this blog is here and I hope you find the information helpful.

Pam and I help out a little at church with the kids ministry on Saturday evenings. Four years ago we were doing the same when Kevin Elder was teaching. He had the couple dozen kids come around Pam and pray over her. It is a memory we'll never forget and a moment we didn't think would happen again. Well last Saturday evening it did, on a big scale. Rick Rogy was teaching and gathered together the 55 2nd-3rd graders, the 46 4th-5th graders and a dozen or so adult leaders and they all prayed. Comforting, encouraging, uplifting...a wonderful moment in the middle of a rotten couple of weeks.

6 comments:

Stephanie Elder said...

I am really thinking that you need to re-think the "no shopping" inclusion on your list of forbidden activities as Pam heals. As a medical professional (HA!)I can say that retail therapy is always high on the list when recommending therapies to my patients....think of it as an exercise in not only the physical aspect (walking) but also in mental abilities. Calculating percentages off (sometimes as high as 70%!!!) can be quite challenging without the likes of a calculator. C'mon Rick...be a sport...I'll even DRIVE and carry the bags for her! :)

Praying for you all!! (and hoping you'll change your mind)...love you guys...

Steph

Rick said...

Dear Nurse Practitioner Elder,

HIPA laws dictate your arrest and confinement for discussing Pam's therapies in a public forum.

Sorry.

Rick

Lorri said...

Hi Pam...I am a friend of Candace Youngman in Colorado. She emailed me your blog this morning because she knew God could use my experiences for you. I am 40 years old and found my breast cancer at stage 3c a year ago August (all lymph nodes removed with cancer.) I hope my blog will be helpful to you and anything you need, please email me with questions, etc. I will keep you in prayer. With His Love, Lorri Steer www.lorriscancerupdates.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

Pam and Rick,
Darcy has filled me in on what is going on and shared this blog site with me. May I just say shoot and crudly dudly with very strong emotion?! I will pray for you both and the kids and add you to my bible study prayer chain. Oh, and I agree with Stephanie....let the girl shop!!! You might try it too it really can be theraputic :)

Heather Roecker

Rick said...

I can't win on the shopping restriction. Laurie Endress and Amy Crose took her today. I give up.

Thanks for the prayers.

Emi said...

You are such a great husband to journal all of this for your wife. I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year. I will keep praying for you guys.
Love,
Emi