Sunday, November 1, 2009

Understanding


Understanding is not so easy. I don't really understand how hard things are for Pam. I know she can pull off looking fantastic and smiling. I know she can hide how she feels at times. I know her energy is low. I know her memory is shaky. I know she can't recall any better than I can exactly how many friends/family have passed away in the past year (I just went through the contacts in my cell phone and I know it is at least four, beginning with Randy). Definitely can't recall how many over the past two or three. A great man ended his 22 month battle with cancer yesterday, leaving behind his loving wife and four beautiful daughters. Don Bowen had us all praying for miracles, BIG ones. Everyone will miss Don. Christmas won't be the same without him. We don't understand.


I used to turn to Randy Shafer to help in my understanding of things big and small. I still do. His blog hangs out there for me to reference. Memories of our conversations are beginning to fade, but some things stuck. Like when he said he will know he is cured of cancer when he dies from something else. There is no cure for cancer, but some people are cured. We thought Pam was a year ago. Quite confident right up until Nov. 17th. Understanding why some are and some are not is very difficult. Understanding why the most common breast cancer treatment works in pretty much all women, except Pam, is hard. Understanding exactly what to do next is not easy. It's all enough to make a girl hurry home from an appointment and just need to eat a cookie (thanks Debbie). And candy the next day.

1 comment:

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Trying to understand will drive you crazy.

As I was telling Pam, I stopped trying to understand how Brian felt several years ago. I'm not sick. I haven't had to take those drugs into my body. I don't FEEL cancer in my body. I don't get it. So, we came to a mutual agreement that I would stop trying to understand and would just support. Still, even supporting when you don't "understand" can be difficult.

Trying to understand why some are healed and some are not - that will make you crazier.

I went through a very rough time when we were trying to conceive and spending our savings to take any medical measure to help it happen. Seemed like every time I turned around another friend was getting pregnant without "trying." Or a teenage cousin would find out she was pregnant. Or an unwed 28 year old cousin would find out she was pregnant. Understand? Not in this humanly body.

God is Sovereign. I trust Him. I cam incapable of understanding Him.

KEEP BELIEVING